Friday, March 23, 2012

Intimacy or Reverence

Sheldon and I have slowly been working through the Crazy Love book and study by Francis Chan.  After reading each chapter there is a short video session.  At the end of each video session there are always discussion questions.

Last week he asked a really interesting question.

Intimacy vs. Reverence: Which do you struggle with in your relationship with God?

Sheldon and I had opposite answers.  Intimacy comes easily for me and reverence is easier for Sheldon.  Sheldon can easily trust God and His greatness whereas reverence feels scary to me.  I think that is so because I have always been a fairly self suffient person and 'in control' of my life.  It is easier for Sheldon to accept at face value that God is in control and is bigger than anything we walk through. I love having intimate time in God's word whereas Sheldon struggles more in this area.

This question brought to light some areas I stuggle with and also areas I can grow in.  I think it was also good to see how we are both different and be able to talk through that.  It made me aware that we have to have both things present in our relationship with God.

I wonder if we have different answers because of our indiviual baggage or because we have different personalities in general.  Just leaves me thinking......

1 comment: