James 2
Favoritism Forbidden
1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong?
8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,”[a] you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”[b] also said, “You shall not murder.”[c] If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.
12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
All of these verses have left me thinking a lot about the work I do on the oncology floor at the hospital. (I love this mission field because no one can fake who they are there.) Cancer does not discriminate. And because of that I take care of the rich, homeless, rude, kind, thoughtful, strong, sad, angry, and everyone in between. Obviously it is so much nicer to take care of people who are kind and smell good, but that is not the reality that I walk into three days a week at work. I have seen so many nurses come and go because this job is so hard. It is the most selfless thing I have ever done. This job requires that I tap into 'God's love well' instead of my own. The patients require more than I can provide on my own.
As I have matured over the years I have realized that each patient has a story worth knowing about. I love walking with people through their pains, struggles, and fears. As the nursing tasks have become easier for me over the years I have more time to really get to know people, even the people who are not easy to love. I have heard some of the most heartbreaking and heartwarming stories from people from all walks of life. Normally I go home with a great appreciation for my health and for my life, clinging to the things that matter. As much as I have resisted the idea of working full time, it now has become such a ministry that I can't imagine not having it be apart of my life......although part time work does sound appealing:)
With that said though, I'm glad for the reminder these verses put in front of me. Even though this job has caused personal growth and has blessed me in amazing ways, I would be lying if I said I didn't ever struggle. In fact this last month I have been a bit irritated in my head with a few types of patient populations that we serve. I of course would never let the patient know I was struggling, but my coworkers maybe noticed my irritation level. I am reminded that I'm not called to serve people that are easy to take care of or people who make choices that I agree with. I am not called to serve based on condition. I'm simply called to serve out of love alone.
Beth Moore says, "Loving your neighbor as yourself not only cures our favoritism but also our selfishness." Verse 8 basically is saying, 'if, out of your love for God, you are loving to others, you are doing well.'
This lesson on favoritism and love was just what I needed to refocus a bit and serve purely out of love. It's all about living out of response to what was done for us on the cross. When my flesh gets out of the way, this is possible no matter what situation or person I face.
It is always tempting to put ourselves in situations that are safe, easy, comfortable, and sheltered with people who believe exactly what we do. God continues to stretch me in a work environment with multiple walks of life, backgrounds, and needs. He is constantly asking me to pull up my sleeves and work hard. My work is full of patients and staff who are hurting and struggling and who are in need of people to offer them the love that they crave. I'm glad(most days) God takes me out of my comfortable safe zone. His work always happens there!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete