Thursday, October 4, 2012

FYI****WARNING*****

So I got a little domestic at home today(cooked AND did laundry all in one day!) and decided I was going to make Sheldon and I some really yummy chili for supper. The first cool day of fall made me really hungry for soup.  But I wanted to copy my cousin and try to duplicate her yummy chipotle chili that she made for my grandma's birthday.  It was so delicious and like nothing I've ever had.  Instead of waiting for her recipe I decided I was smart enough to figure it out!  Well lets just say I figured it out the hard way today. 

I've never put this kind of peppers in anything before and I thought that they were just 'smokey' in flavor and not really spicy.  That was my first mistake.  So like a professional cook, I chopped up this 'little' can of peppers and added them to my soup.  To make the soup even better I bought a cut up arm roast and sauteed the meat before adding it to the soup(so basically the soup was a little more expensive to make than if I would have used ground beef).

HOLY POT OF FIRE is all I have to say!  I thought to myself, 'my husband is going to kill me for feeding this to him'.  He HATES anything too spicy.  So I spent the day scooping out some tomato juice and adding back in tomato juice that wasn't on fire until finally I thought I could feed it to my husband.  And then it still was spicy!  I just served him up plenty of milk and had some corn muffins for him to eat along with it to kill the fire.  Tomorrow is going to be a rough day for him! lol!

So really this is just a courtesy blog for anyone who thinks they want to cook with Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce(I don't even know what is in that sauce)! After I realized I had added in WWAAYYY to many peppers I glanced on allrecipes.com to see what other chipotle chili recipes called for.  Does it make you laugh really hard to know that the recipes on that website called for 2 TEASPOONS of finely chopped chipotle peppers?(I wish I could record my laughter as I type this post)  Not only did I add in the entire can of peppers, but I only coarsely chopped them first....because I like a good chunky chili! 

I really don't know what else to say.  Just take this warning very seriously!  I sure haven't messed something up in the kitchen like this for a long time.  Lesson learned! 

4 comments:

  1. Heh, heh, shall I text Sheldon tomorrow and see how he's doing?? :)

    2 t. giggle, giggle, giggle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too funny! Chili's in adobo is quite spicy - good luck Sheldon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read this a billion times just to laugh :) It's a good follow up to Shonya's Kiana post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is HILARIOUS!! "Holy pot of fire!" I can just hear you saying that! :) I'm sure Sheldon was gracious with your cooking but what a funny story to tell Mya someday when she's screwed up in the kitchen. :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete